In accordance with NYCSD Board Policy #122, Extracurricular and Co-curricular Activities, the school board has adopted an approved list of student activities for the high school and middle school. By definition, these activities fall into three categories:
- Co-curricular activities – those activities that are sponsored or approved by the Board, are offered for credit towards graduation, and have components of their program that include attendance at and participation in activities scheduled during nonschool hours.
- Extracurricular activities – those activities, which are sponsored or approved by the Board, administration, Athletic Director, or principal, but are not offered for credit toward graduation. Such activities shall ordinarily be available to all students who voluntarily elect to participate, except that where eligibility requirements are necessary or desirable, the Board shall be so informed and must approve the establishment of eligibility standards before they may be operable.
- Student Activity Clubs/Organizations—those extra-curricular activities that seek to meet the interests of students that are not provided by the curricular program of the school. These clubs/organizations are marked by student participation in the process of initiating, planning, organizing and executing the mission and purpose of the club/organization. Each Student Activity Club/Organization shall submit and maintain:
- A Statement of Purpose document (submitted to the building principal upon initiation of the club/organization or as requested by the building principal)
- By-laws for the club/organization (submitted to the building principal upon initiation of the club/organization, whenever amendments to the by-laws are made by the club/organization, or as requested by the building principal)
- A budget and/or income statement (submitted to the building principal and the Business Manager on an annual basis).