Implementing 21st Century Education
The specific teaching strategy depends on the purpose of the instructional moment
Important: When using collaborative activities roles are clearly defined and students are accountable to each otherInquiry-Based lesson designs and practices
- Direct Instruction - used when students need to grasp basic information through observation, listening and answering
- Inquiry-based Instruction - used when students need to construct, examine and extend meaning
- Coaching - Used when students need to refine skills and deepen understanding
- Project-based Learning: Students complete complex tasks and present final work in the form of a product or presentation. The emphasis here is on building performance-based competencies that help students transfer their knowledge and skills to a novel situation -
- Problem-based learning: Students encounter real world problems that are realistic and complex. The emphasis here in on effective questioning, problem identification, and analysis.
- Design-based learning: Students design and create an object or artifact using technical knowledge and systems thinking; the emphasis here is on creating, prototyping and revising.
Resource: BIE - Bucks Institute for Education - A great resource for exploring PBL curricula and professional development needed to implement it.Making 21st Century Education Happen: EduLearder21 Videos
- Effective way to design and organize curricula around 4Cs, especially when it is a primary focus for teaching and learning.
- Ability to better engage students with deeper learning
- Assess a set of skills highly valuved in both college and career.